Saturday, November 21, 2009

Running Notepad++ on Linux

I use Windows and Linux interchangeably. Windows 7 is currently installed on my office computer and Kubuntu 9.10 (codenamed karmic) on the laptop. I need very often similar applications on both platforms. For simple .Net development MonoDevelop is my choice which is cross-platform so doesn't need any special treatments. Eclipse IDE serves me the same for the Java development. For my blog writing, specially for C++/Java/C# posts, I need to write C++/Java/C# code very frequently and use Notepad++ in Windows. It helps me to write source code in the desired language and export to basic HTML with simple embedded style.

I needed a similar editor on Linux. I could have used cross-platform ports of emacs or vi for the same purpose. Being a long time Notepad++ user for HTML and blogging, I don't want to use emacs or vi for blog posts. I have briefly explained here the steps to install Notepad++ in the Kubuntu system over Wine.


1. Install Wine if it's not installed yet
      $sudo apt-get install wine
2. Download Notepad++ windows executable from its download site.
3. Open the console and change to the download location.
       $cd

4. Run the installer with wine
      $wine npp.5.5.1.Installer.exe

Now I can use notepad++ from windows as well as from kubuntu.

No comments:

Post a Comment